Application Deadline: November 30, 2023
Since 1977 Gem Cabinets has grown to be an industry leader in designing and crafting custom cabinetry in residential homes across Edmonton and surrounding area. As a locally owned and operated family business Gem prides itself on sourcing top quality products from Canadian suppliers, giving back to the community through charitable events, and creating a workplace culture where people are at the center of everything we do! As part of our recent growth, we are seeking an instrumental leader with a diverse skill set to join our dynamic team.
The Shop Manager plays a critical role in leading a team of skilled professionals while maintaining a safe, efficient, and productive shop environment with strict quality standards in order to fabricate a variety of products.
The Shop Manager will work in a fast paced but casual environment and play a significate role in ensuring customer satisfaction by actively engaging the Shop Administrator, Shop Foreman, Cabinet Makers, and Finishers in a wide range of troubleshooting techniques and methodologies.
- Manage, coach, and provide strong leadership to all team members.
- Cultivate a culture of positivity and high performance through exemplary leadership techniques.
- Work closely with all departments to meet customer expectations and optimize shop operations.
- Ensure the quality of items produced meet Gem Cabinets standards.
- Assist with planning of equipment/maintenance/work scheduling.
- Recruit/hire and assist in training new Cabinet Makers and Finishers.
- Keep track of timesheets and staff holidays/time off to prevent labor shortages.
- Ensure staff are working in a safe manner and following all safe job practices and procedures.
- Facilitate daily toolbox safety meetings and lead weekly safety sessions.
- Participate in safety meetings and compile safety meeting notes for monthly shop safety meeting.
- Perform annual performance reviews for Cabinet Makers, Finishers, Shop Foreman, and Shop Administrator.
- Monitor order volumes and production to ensure delivery is on time.
- Support the development of the Apprentice Cabinetmakers by working with our local trade school.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED
- Minimum of 5 years in a leadership role.
- Expert in the fundamentals of cabinet manufacturing.
- Effective verbal/written communication skills with exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Excellent project management skills and scheduling.
- Experience with CNC equipment and software is advantageous.
- Estimating experience an asset.
- Training in Lean Manufacturing would be an asset.
- Champion a culture of safety and compliance with all protocols and procedures.
- Robust problem solving, conflict resolution, and negotiation skills.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Knowledgeable in woodworking tools, machinery, and maintenance.
- Advanced computer skills.
- Skilled in being diplomatic when dealing with clients.
- Ability to create a sense of ownership and empowerment with staff.
- Capacity to excel under pressure and handle challenges professionally.
Gem Cabinets, firstname.lastname@example.org